Saturday, January 21, 2012

Power of Leadership

Gina and I - One of the greatest women
and role models I've ever known
     Think about some of the people and/or role models who have impacted you most in life. Now, imagine that you never met them. Crazy, huh? Would your life be dramatically different? I know mine sure would be.
     What made the leaders in my life so great and impacting? Was it all of the precious free time they gave up to spend time with, listen to, and encourage me? Or perhaps the positive, Christ-like attributes they possessed? Or was it the way they just genuinely loved and cared about how I was doing? I believe it was a healthy combination of all those factors.    
     Lately I've been thinking a lot about leadership and its tremendous effect. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not be the strong, hope, and life-filled woman I am today if not for particular youth leaders and best friends in my life. On the other hand, I know many individuals who never truly connected with a positive leader/role model during junior high/high school and are not making the wisest choices today because of it.
Hannah, Sarah (two other leaders),
Kaelyn, Sarah, Marissa, (students)
and I after the girls' dance recital     
     I am currently a junior high youth group leader at my church. I absolutely adore my students and love each of them so much more than they know. As I reflect on how essential it was to have close relationships with leaders in my life during the young teen years, I am more motivated than ever before to personally connect with each of my students, especially the girls. I am so driven to know their needs and struggles, lift them up in prayer, encourage them, support them, laugh with them, love on them, hang out with them, just enjoy life with them.
    If you're not involved any means of leadership, whether that be at work, school, a church, an organization, or even within a family, I encourage you to find your leadership niche -- a place where you can positively lead others with your distinct skills and capabilities. Also, make sure you have someone older and wiser that you can go to and look up to as a positive leader in your life; never take them for granted. A remarkable leader is powerful; their influence can often begin a legacy.

Students at our life-group Christmas party 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment