Monday, January 23, 2012

The Little Things

"Joy comes from the little 
pleasures God gives us every day."

     Today is Monday. I woke up early this morning to the less than charming sound of my alarm clock, went to my three Monday classes, went to chapel, made myself a quick lunch, finished up some homework, and will be departing from my 'dorm, sweet dorm,' for a six and a half hour shift at work soon. Initially, today seems to be a very typical Monday in the life of a North Central student. As I sat in my bible study methods class during second hour today, I realized something... today is a fantastic day. Now, before you assume I've been going a little crazy cooped up on this snowy day, hear me out. No, nothing exceptionally stand-out-wonderful happened, such as finding money on the ground, being miraculously healed/recover from a serious sickness or disease, or making a varsity sports team (or something of that caliber), but I just stopped, and really appreciated all of the little things.
     Receiving a good morning text from my boyfriend, getting ready with ten minutes to spare this morning - perfect for some prayer, getting a delicious, free cup of coffee from the library, being able to chat and catch up with friends in classes about their weekends, admiring the beautiful snowfall outside the classroom window, understanding what's going on in systematic theology and being able to participate in discussion, despite lowering the brightness so much that I could barely see the screen, my dying laptop survived all the way up until the end of my last class. 
     Too often, we allow ourselves to be so consumed in our circumstances, issues, stress, and where we're off to next. Many of the things I listed above happen often; though I don't always give them a second thought. It's important and so refreshing to once in a while just take a step back, thank God, choose to be happy, and appreciate all of the little blessings along the way of this big journey we call life.

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment