Monday, February 6, 2012

Made Differently

     A couple weeks ago I attended a good friend, role model, and leader's bridal shower. I'd been to baby showers before, but this was my first bridal shower ever. From leaving funny advice for the bride and groom with my comical roommate, Sarah,  eating delectable desserts that cost me a good workout (so worth it), and winning a big bag of peanut M&M's in a silly game, I had a blast.
     My favorite part of the night was a marriage devotional led by Sara Groves. Although i'm not married, I was still able to take away a lot of relationship advice. One point in particular has really stuck with me over the past couple weeks. Sara used an analogy that described us all as individual avatars - different people with very distinct personalities. Many times conflicts arise in relationships because we don't understand why or how someone could react in a particular way (because we obviously know the best way, right? ...think again). I was instantly reminded of a time where I became really frustrated with my boyfriend, Daniel, because of the way he reacted to a situation. I remember thinking and asking him, "Why would you not just do this?"(what I thought was the right way to handle it).
     Truth is, Daniel, my family, my friends, my professors, and my coworkers, as stated before, are all different individuals with distinct personalities. We will react in various ways during given circumstances and situations because we think and are made differently. This is crucial to remember and take into account in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Such a good reminder that God made all of our minds differently and that's something to appreciate. It's not all about us.

Sara Groves giving devotional at Steph's Bridal Shower
Photo taken from Morgan Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment