Friday, July 5, 2013

Emotions.

Emotions.

We all have them and we all experience them, from ferocious anger to overflowing joy. As women, we are often characterized as being overly emotional.
Newsflash.
Emotions are not bad! In fact, emotions are God-given. We reflect God in that we are emotional. God feels grief, anger, love, passion, and joy, just as we do. Let that sink in for a minute. Emotions themselves are not bad, but rather what we do with negative emotions can be destructive. Before sin entered the world, God had good intentions in designing his people with the ability to experience emotion. All emotions were beneficial and in alignment with God’s nature. After sin entered the world, people began experiencing thoughts and emotions that were not of God. These emotions were self-centered and devastating to relationships. These types of negative emotions still exist today: jealousy, guilt, anger, loneliness, bitterness, worthlessness, and more. Fortunately, these emotions can be helpful when used in the right manner. They can be very telling of where a heart is. For example, there have been times when someone I care about is praised and given much attention for something great. Instead of celebrating with them, I have been jealous. In fact, I have even put myself down for not doing something as well.
Hold up. Where is my heart in this moment?
Proverbs 14:30 NIV says, “A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.” Philippians 2:3 NIV says, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves.”
When I allow these jealous emotions to have their way, they bring nothing but destruction upon myself and my relationship with this individual. Instead of being jealous, I am called to humble myself, love others, and place them before myself.
Emotions can either be constructive or destructive. When we act upon negative thoughts, assumptions are made and havoc is wreaked. We are only to recognize these feelings, not act upon them. Acknowledge negative emotions, but then choose to confront them with truth (God’s Word) – paving the way to constructivism.

1 comment:

  1. mmm...well said. I needed this. At this very moment. Thank you! And I love a little dose of scripture worked in too. Thank you.
    Joyfully,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete