Saturday, August 4, 2012

...Actually...posting...a blog?


     Yes, indeed! This is my first blog post in almost TWO MONTHS! This summer has been crazy busy with mission trips, camp counseling, family vacations, nannying, and more, but so great. I have been learning so much. As stated in my last blog post, in June I traveled to Costa Rica for 10 days, along with a team of 31 leaders and high school students from my youth group. We worked alongside an amazing missionary family, the Dahlager's. We had the privilege of ministering to over 6,000 students through personal interaction, school assemblies, church services, and an outreach concert.
     I, personally, had never been on a mission trip before this trip. It changed my life forever! Here is just a snippet of cool stories and things I learned:

  • Missionaries are selfless, sacrificial, and deserve much more honor than they receive. Many take their families and give up a regular American lifestyle in order to share with others around the world the hope and freedom they have in Jesus.
  • PRAYER IS POWERFUL. One night we did a presentation in an alternative school. This was the only school we were told we couldn’t talk about God. We were also given a shorter time slot than we had in the other schools. While part of our team was setting up the band equipment, the rest of us began to pray around the building. Just before the presentation, something miraculous happened – the director of the school extended our time slot and gave us permission to talk about God! The band rocked out, two other team members and I shared our testimonies, and one of our youth pastors, Micah, shared a powerful message. Micah made sure the students knew that regardless of what had happened in their lives, they still have value. People were crying, God was moving, and lives were changed. At the end of the night, a student told the director that a month ago her father shot her mother. Her mother had survived, but the girl was so devastated that she had been planning to commit suicide that very night, but she had found hope again! Only God could have orchestrated all this. Only God could have changed the mind of the director at the last minute, allowing us to talk about God.
  •    I feel very called to work in women’s ministry – writing and speaking. This was confirmed to me throughout the trip, as I was given the opportunity to share my testimony, a righteous victory over an eating disorder, with other 6,000 students! It was so cool and rewarding to be able to talk with, pray over, and encourage students struggling with their self-image. I am currently working on a book for women regarding self-worth.
  •    Want less; give more. We should make the most of the time and resources that we have been blessed with. What better way than to love on and bless other people? I am so passionate about missions!
Hanging out with some girls before our big outreach concert!
We went zip-lining on one of our last days!
Sharing my testimony in one of the high schools!
Our team at the airport right before we left!

No comments:

Post a Comment